Summary of Requirements
- Required for all travelers
- Required for citizens of most countries, including Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and United States
- Not required for citizens of countries in Visa-Exempt below
- Not required
- Ethnically Vietnamese people overseas may apply for a certificate granting visa-free entry into Vietnam
Required for all travelers. Unless noted in the Visa section below, passports must be valid for at least one month beyond the visit.
Citizens of Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the United States are required to obtain a visa to enter Vietnam.Visa-Exempt
Citizens of the following countries holding a passport valid for at least six months beyond the visit may enter Vietnam without a visa for a stay of up to 30 days: Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Singapore (return/onward ticket and financial means to cover the stay are required), and Thailand.
Citizens of the following country holding a passport valid for at least six months beyond the visit and a return/onward ticket may enter Vietnam without a visa for a stay of up to 21 days: Philippines.
Citizens of the following countries holding a passport valid for at least three months beyond the visit and a return/onward ticket may enter Vietnam without a visa for a stay of up to 15 days: Denmark, Finland, Japan, Norway, Russia, South Korea, and Sweden.
These visa exemptions apply to holders of ordinary passports only. Exemptions and requirements may differ for holders of other types of passports.
Ethnically Vietnamese persons holding foreign passports can obtain a certificate granting visa-free entry into Vietnam for up to 90 days.Visa Required
Citizens of any country not mentioned in Visa-Exempt above need a visa to enter Vietnam.Visa Requirements
The following documents are required to obtain a tourist visa:
- Completed visa application form
- Passport-size photo
- Passport or travel document valid for at least one month past the date of the requested visa
- Confirmation from the inviting or sponsoring authority, organization, or individual, if applicable
Note that additional documents may be required in some cases.Visa Types
Vietnam issues the following types of visas:
- Visitor Visa
- Single-Entry for 30-day maximum stay
- Multiple-Entry Visa for three-month maximum stay
- Multiple-Entry Visa for six-month to one-year stay
- Working Permit
Note that passport and visa information is subject to change. Also, requirements for specialty visas can be complex. Travelers are advised to obtain the most current information from the primary source. For more information about visas, residence, and immigration, as well as application forms and fee information, visit the website for the Vietnam Ministry of Foreign Affairs at www.mofa.gov.vn or contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate General of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam.
Copyright © 1993-2020 World Trade Press. All rights reserved.